Do you love tea? Is your idea of heaven being surrounded by hundreds of varieties of tea and helping people choose tea? Are you thrilled by the idea of getting employee discounts on books, tea, and games?
We may have a career for you!
This House of Books is a community-owned independent bookstore and tea bar built on the co-op model, opening in downtown Billings in September. Our tea bar will have as many as 200 varieties of tea, herbs, and spices from all around the world, including many varieties blended right in our store. Our focus is on great-tasting, high-quality tea rather than medicinal herbs.
The book side of the business will have all genres of books with a focus on local subjects and authors, Western literature, bestsellers, and new releases, with a strong children’s section including educational toys and stuffed animals. Our game selection will include a broad sampling of popular tabletop games (board, card, and dice games).
We offer our team members opportunities for advancement and training. You’ll be working with nationally-known tea experts and tea writers to constantly increase your knowledge and skills and grow with the business, and given the opportunity to cross-train into the book side of the business with published authors and prominent members of the bookselling community.
Although we are not currently hiring, we keep an eye out for high quality full-time or part-time people to share our love of tea with the community.
- Preparing tea by the cup in a variety of ways: hot, iced, lattes, boba, traditional Japanese matcha, and specialty drinks
- Helping customers to find what they’re looking for and making recommendations if they aren’t sure what they want
- Packaging bulk tea
- Blending teas
- Running a cash register and point-of-sale/inventory management system
- Stocking shelves
- Cleaning, straightening, and organizing
- Receiving orders and checking them in using the point-of-sale system
- Gift wrapping
- Assisting in other areas of the store, such as the book counter, as required
- Working as a part of a team
Requirements & Qualifications
- A love of tea; it doesn’t matter what kind as long as you’re willing to experiment and share your favorites with people
- Strong oral communication skills; English a must, other languages a plus
- At least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or GED; additional education and training a plus
- Reliability. We need people that we can count on to arrive on time and work a full shift
- Being able to lift & carry boxes of tea, teaware, and other merchandise
- Basic knowledge of computers, as the job requires running a cash register and inventory management system
If you have any of these extra skills, let us know! We are looking for flexible workers who can help with these special tasks in addition to working on the sales floor.
- Event planning (we will be running author events, poetry readings, game nights, and many other types of events in the store)
- Communications (we need help with social media, email announcements, and other light writing tasks
- Graphic design (we will be constantly making signs, banners, and posters; taking pictures for social media posts, and more)
- Decorating (we will be setting up displays and decorations for holidays, special events, book releases, parties, and more)
- Bookkeeping (we are looking for someone who can spend at least one shift per week doing light bookkeeping duties like paying bills and balancing accounts)
- Food service (this is a bookstore and tea bar, and we want employees ready to cross-train to handle both parts of the business)
This House of Books is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit inquiries or résumés by email to our General Manager.