Do you love to read? Is your idea of heaven being surrounded by books and talking to people about books all day long? Are you thrilled by the idea of getting employee discounts on books, tea, and games?
We may have a job for you!
This House of Books is an independent bookstore in downtown Billings, owned cooperatively by hundreds of members. We sell all genres of books with a focus on local subjects and authors, Western literature, bestsellers, and new releases. Our children’s section includes educational toys and stuffed animals. Our game selection includes a broad sampling of popular tabletop games (board, card, and dice games). Our tea bar has close to 200 varieties of tea from all around the world, including many varieties blended right in our store.
We offer our team members opportunities for advancement and training. You’ll be working with authors and experienced booksellers and tea experts to increase your knowledge and skills and grow with the business.
Although we are not currently hiring, we keep an eye out for high quality part-time booksellers to share our love of books with the community.
- Helping customers to find what they’re looking for and making recommendations if they aren’t sure what they want
- Running a cash register and point-of-sale/inventory management system
- Stocking shelves
- Researching books, suggesting new items to stock, and helping customers with special orders
- Cleaning, straightening, and organizing
- Receiving orders and checking them in using the point-of-sale system
- Gift wrapping
- Making and serving tea
- Working as a part of a team
Requirements & Qualifications
- A love of books & reading; we don’t care what you read as long as you’re a reader
- Strong oral communication skills; English a must, other languages a plus
- At least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or GED; additional education and training a plus
- Reliability. We need people that we can count on to arrive on time and work a full shift
- Being able to lift & carry boxes of books and other merchandise
- Basic knowledge of computers, as the job requires running a cash register, looking up books, and doing research
If you have any of these extra skills, let us know! We are looking for flexible workers who can help with these special tasks in addition to working on the sales floor.
- Event planning (we will be running author events, poetry readings, game nights, and many other types of events in the store)
- Communications (we need help with social media, email announcements, and other light writing tasks)
- Graphic design (we will be constantly making signs, banners, and posters; taking pictures for social media posts, and more)
- Decorating (we will be setting up displays and decorations for holidays, special events, book releases, parties, and more)
- Bookkeeping (we are looking for someone who can spend at least one shift per week doing light bookkeeping duties like paying bills and balancing accounts)
- Food service (this is a bookstore and tea bar, and we want employees ready to cross-train to handle both parts of the business)
This House of Books is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit inquiries or résumés by email to our General Manager.